In this article, we reviewed the best shoes for elderly with balance problems to prevent falls.
So many things deteriorate with age, you may be right to say balance is top of the list.
When you reminisce, you probably recall days you literally flew down the stairs and moved around effortlessly, but you can’t make the same boasts now.
Old age doesn’t hit us all the same way, some elderly can still boast of some degree of balance, but what about those seniors with balance problems? There’s a way to help make things easier.
How Bad is Balance Problem in Elderly?
When one ages, maintaining balance of the body while walking or standing becomes a herculean task. In fact, most elderly ones that would like to keep fit through exercises find it difficult because of the inability of their bodies to maintain good balancing.
For the elderly, they really need the shoes that help with balance problems because maintaining balance becomes more complex as one advance in age.
Balancing involves all the sensory and motor system working together to monitor one’s motions and also to make the body to stay steady in space. Also, good muscle strength and reaction time is very crucial in maintaining balance among the elderly and aged individuals.
In seniors, the muscle strength and reaction time decreases drastically. It takes a longer reaction time for the brain of an elderly person to process signals.
Also, the muscles lose their flexibility to an extent. With all these factors working against the elderly individuals, balancing becomes highly difficult.
Since many parts of the body are no longer working in coordination as expected, we elderly people would need extra support to enable us maintain balance especially when one is not walking with walkers for seniors.
We all know how dangerous it is for the body not to be balanced when walking or standing. When the body is not balanced, an individual can fall. Falling at a very wrong place can lead to severe injuries if not death.
Can you imagine an elderly person falling in the middle of a busy road with a car approaching with speed?
One bad thing about falling is that getting back up is harder. In view of this, it is better not to fall at all. Asides having fractured bones from any fall, one can easily develop an ailment from any fall.
Balancing the body requires assistance most times. This explains why most aged individuals use walking sticks to support themselves. Senior, who may not yet need these walking sticks need to prevent themselves from slipping especially when they intend to walk briskly or exercise their bodies a bit.
When the body system is getting old, most of its function returns almost to the same way they were at the infant stage. Just like a child struggles to stand on its feet, the same most seniors struggle to stand and some even need help to get out of bed
Standing upright is the first step of maintaining balance. Standing upright without slipping and falling is another evidence of maintaining proper body balance.
This implies that we seniors should not undermine the need to have shoes that can ensure you stand well, avoid slipping and maintain balance when walking briskly or jogging.
Seniors are expected to jog or exercise to ensure that the body is kept fit. The best shoes for balance issues are also similar with the ones used by younger athletes during sports. These shoes are made in such a way that command great grip with the ground when worn by any individual.
When the grip and friction remains on these shoes that help with balance , it ensures that we seniors would not trip unnecessarily or fall from shiny floor surfaces. These shoes are suitable for use both for indoor and outdoor movement.
Reasons to Wear Balance Shoes for the Elderly
There are many reasons why we seniors should endeavor to wear shoes meant for the elderly with balance problems. However, these five reasons are very important to us:
- To prevent death: Adults are treated in the emergency rooms on numerous occasions due to falls. Many adults too die from falls. In order to prevent deaths and reduce death rate among we seniors, we need these balance shoes to prevent falls.
- To prevent fraters and injuries among seniors
- To ensure that money is spent on more important things than on preventable injuries sustained from falls. It makes no sense going for treatment and spending money when the causes could have been prevented in the first place.
- To avoid future ailments and diseases that could emanate from these falls. One can get severe pains from these falls and they will end up nursing these pains as ailments all through their life.
- To ensure societal and community safety precautions among seniors. It is important that even when a senior does not care about his or her life, they should at least be able to care for the life of other individuals. For instance, a senior that falls in the middle of a busy road will end up endangering the lives of other passersby who will try to help or even the lives of motorists who will try to stop abruptly.
Causes of Balance Problems in Elderly
Most times maintaining balance while walking is affected by the health condition of the elderly person.
Lack of exercise, alcohol intake, obesity and medical conditions are known to highly affect how the body maintains its balance at any age in life.
The health factor manifests more in seniors because most seniors are prone to having many ailments such as diabetes, dementia, memory loss etc. Having balance disorders is usually caused by ear problems or eye problems. The ear helps in balancing in the body. Also, inner ear problems are which can cause dizziness and unsteadiness can cause balancing disorder among we seniors.
Eye problems commonly suffered by we seniors include cataracts, diabetic retinopathy etc. These affect the level of balancing in seniors to a great extent. If the eye cannot process signals at a much faster rate, it is hard for the body to maintain its balance. Another common health challenges faced by seniors is arthritis. Arthritis comes with server pains that affect the joints and the muscles in the body. It is usually common among seniors and it affects the balance of the body when walking. Because seniors are highly susceptible to lots of ailments, we are likely to be under various types of medications. Unfortunately, these medications can affect how the body balances during walking or standing. For instance, sedatives and tranquilizers used to neutralize pains in the joints and muscles affect the balancing of the body. Some antidepressants and blood pressure medications all affect the balancing of the body. Combining drugs with alcohols increases the high level of unsteadiness during walking, thereby reducing balancing in the body
How Efficient are Balance Shoes For Elderly?
Improper shoes contribute to falls among all individuals of different ages. These shoes for elderly with balance problems are made in such a way that they reduce the risks associated with falling.
Instead of wearing shoes that do not have strong grip to the ground, it is better to move on barefoot especially when seniors are indoors. Wearing slippers or socks increase fall risks.
The best shoes for balance problems are usually built to have low heel heights, hard soles, insoles and slip resistant properties.
Wishcotton Light Breathable Slippers with Nonslip Sole
- Made of cotton for comfort
- Rubber sole
- Memory foam that fits to the contours of the feet
- Machine washable
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- It gives the feet breathing space and allows free movement
- Can be easily worn without the aid of shoehorn or the assistance of any individual.
- The shoe is made up of a high back heel side for protection
- Can be used by both male and female seniors.
They constrict at the toe ends, making it uncomfortable for the toes of users with wide feet
RockDove Women's Flex-Fit Closed Back with 360-Degree Memory Foam
With good ratings, this shoe is convenient for seniors who want to use their shoes for both indoor and outdoor activities.
- Highly washable and easy to wear
- Made of 92% cotton and 8% Spandex
- 360-degree memory foam
- Dual side gores allows for a snug fit to the feet
- Rubber sole with good grip on the floor to prevent falls in elderly
- It gives the feet breathing space and allows free movement
- Can be used by all individuals of any age (young and old)
- It is suitable for swollen feet, sensitive feet and numb feet
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- It is specifically meant for female seniors who usually have shorter feet size as compared to our male counterparts. Hence, finding a bigger size of this for male seniors, even though they can wear them might be hard
Dr. Comfort Men’s William-X Double Depth Black Diabetic Casual Shoes
- Made of leather
- Rubber sole
- Has a removable insole
- Self-adjustable contact closure
- Suitable for seniors with foot conditions such as arthritis, Diabetes, Neuropathy etc. these diseases often affect balancing in seniors and this pair of shoes is well adopted to help such individuals with the ailments to balance.
- Prevents toe-stubbing and reduces pressure on the foot. This reduces the swelling of the feet.
- It is more suitable for male seniors though it can be worn by female seniors as well
- Assistance is needed for very weak seniors before they can be comfortably worn especially when new.
SYLPHID Unisex Waterproof Garden Shoes
- Neoprene and Natural rubber design
- Waterproof and self-cleaning design
- Non-slip rubber outsole
- Made of fabric
- Suitable for both male and female seniors
- Can be used for multiple purposes be it leisure, farming, gardening, and car washing. This implies that it is highly suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- Can be easily worn and removed without assistance from any individual or object.
- Provides comfort to the feet as it also has an air mesh lining.
- Made up of sturdy soles that can maintain balance even when in contact with water
- It stinks easily when used over a period of time
Skechers Men’s Afterburn Strike Memory Foam Velcro Sneaker
- Made of 100% leather and textile
- Synthetic sole
- Has dual straps for better grip to the feet
- Contains memory foam which provides comfort to the feet
- Has a slid-resistant insole for a better grip to the ground.
- It has adjustable hooks and loop closures for more grip to the feet
- Much suitable for male seniors
- The grip of the straps sometimes wears off when used for a long period of time.
There are different balance shoes for the elderly that can prevent falls when worn. Most of the shoes are particularly gender-based but can still be worn by both genders. The five shoes listed and described above stand out in one way or the other, due to their firm grip to the ground, less pressure on the legs and the balance provided by their soles.
Out of the five products described and reviewed above, the Wishcotton Light Breathable Slippers with Nonslip Sole stands out as our favorite pick. This is because it satisfies all the requirements needed to maintain balance for all elderly people when they are worn. The shoes are suitable for both male and female seniors who want to engage in various activities be it exercise, leisure, camping, farming, gardening, and car wash. This gives more option to the user. In addition to this, it is easy to wear and clean.